The National Foundation of Emergency Medicine (NFEM) supports early career academic emergency medicine physicians who contribute to translational medicine. Included below is a list of our scholars’ publications and presentations that are attributable to the National Foundation of Emergency Medicine.
Dr. Katherine Boyle
- Joseph J, Marshall KD, Reich BE et al. Joseph JW, Marshall KD, Reich BE, Boyle KL, Hill KP, Weiner SG, Derse AR. How emergency physicians approach refusal of observation after naloxone resuscitation. J Emerg Med. Published online November 18, 2019. S0736-4679(19)30804-2. doi: 10.1016/j.jemermed.2019.09.021.
- Watson CJ, Whitledge JD, Barbuto AF, Boyle KL, Ganetsky M. Toxicity of agents used for opioid withdrawal: a case-based approach. Int Anesthesiol Clin. 2020 Spring;58(2):19-27. doi: 10.1097/AIA.0000000000000265.
- Burke L, Zhou X, Boyle KL et al. Trends in opioid use disorder and overdose among opioid-naïve individuals receiving an opioid prescription. Addiction. 2020 Mar;115(3):493-504. doi: 10.1111/add.14867.
- Dubosh NM, Boyle KL, Carreiro S, Yankama T, Landry AM. Gender differences in funding among grant recipients in emergency medicine: a multicenter analysis. Am J Emerg Med. 2020;38(7):1357-1361. doi:10.1016/j.ajem.2019.11.006
- Barash JA, Whitledge J, Watson CJ et al. Opioid-associated amnestic syndrome: description of the syndrome and proposed definition. J Neurol Sci. 2020 Oct 15;417:117048. doi: 10.1016/j.jns.2020.117048.
- Watson CJ, Ganetsky M, Burke RC, Dizitzer Y, Leventhal EL, Boyle KL. Impact of a mandatory prescription drug monitoring program check on emergency department opioid prescribing rates. J Med Toxicol. 2021 Apr 5. doi: 10.1007/s13181-021-00837-4.
- Self WH, Semler MW, Leither LM et al. Effect of hydroxychloroquine on clinical status at 14 days in hospitalized patients with COVID-19: A randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2020 Dec 1;324(21):2165-2176. doi: 10.1001/jama.2020.22240.
- Whitledge J, Ganetsky M, Burke R, Boyle KL. Perceptions of emergency department patients with reported marijuana use since recreational legalization in Massachusetts. American College of Medical Toxicology. March 2020, New York City, NY (cancelled due to COVID).
- Boyle KL. The opioid epidemic: Emergency medicine and its role. Oral presentation at: Grand Rounds University of Nevada Las Vegas School of Medicine, Las Vegas, NV (virtual).
- Whitledge J, Watson CJ, Boyle KL et al. Development and validation of a case definition for the opioid-associated amnestic syndrome. Oral presentation at: North American Congress of Clinical Toxicology (NACCT). September 2020; San Francisco, CA (virtual).
- Boyle KL. Toxicologic emergencies: Emerging trends, complications, and management of drugs of abuse. Monthly Emergency Medicine Webinar Series. Oral Presentation at: The Institute for Emergency Department Clinical Quality Improvement; Virtual.
- Boyle KL. Clinical Pathophysiology Competition. Faculty Case Discussant. North American Congress of Clinical Toxicology Annual Scientific Meeting; 2019; Nashville, TN.
Dr. Justin Brooten
- Brooten JK, Cline DM, Gabbard JL. Early mortality following tertiary care transfers. Poster presented at: Center to Advance Palliative Care Conference; December, 2020; New York, NY (virtual).
- Brooten JK, Cline DM, Gabbard JL. Variables associated with high inpatient mortality within 72 hours of interhospital transfer. Oral presentation at: Society of Academic Emergency Medicine Conference, May 14, 2021; Atlanta, GA (virtual).
Dr. Elizabeth Clair
- Clair E, Shaw J, Dehon, E. Barriers and facilitators to implementing a brief physician delivered intervention in the emergency department. Oral presentation at: National Update on Behavioral Emergencies Conference; December 2020; Virtual.
- Clair E, Shaw J, Dehon E. Impact of emergency department physician emotions on clinical decision making during COVID-19. Oral presentation at: the Society of Academic Emergency Medicine Conference; May 14, 2021; Virtual.
- Clair E, Dehon E. Prevalence and predictors of distress among emergency medicine physicians during COVID-19. Oral presentation at: Society of Academic Emergency Medicine Conference; May 14, 2021; Virtual.
Dr. Debbie Madhok
- Nardone A, Madhok DY, Urrutia E, Wong A, Rodriguez R. The impact of COVID-19 shelter-in-place order on traumatic brain injuries. Oral presentation at: Society of Academic Emergency Medicine Conference; May 14, 2021; Virtual.
Dr. Dana Sacco
- Sacco D. Increased number of emergency department visits for mental health complaints during the COVID-19 pandemic. Oral presentation at: Society of Academic Emergency Medicine Conference; May 13, 2021; Virtual.
Dr. Elaine Situ-LaCasse
- Situ-LaCasse E, Acuña J, Huynh D, Amini R, Irving S, Samsel K, Patanwala AE, Biffar DE, Adhikari S. Can ultrasound novices develop image acquisition skills after reviewing online ultrasound modules? BMC Med Ed. In press.
- Situ-LaCasse, E, Kao B, Sanders A, Adhikari S. Effectiveness and learner perception of point-of-care ultrasound gamification distance-learning. American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine Annual Meeting. March 2021. Abstract submitted.
- Situ-LaCasse, E, Yarnish A, Curtis M, Biffar D, Adhikari S. Ultrasound novices’ comfort level in performing ultrasound-guided procedures after one-day hands-on training session. Poster presented at: American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine Annual Meeting; April 2020; Virtual.
- Valenzuela J, Gaskin G, Ortega B, Lynn B, Situ-LaCasse E. Comparison of common bile duct measurement by point-of-care ultrasound to radiology-performed ultrasound. Oral Presentation at: American College of Emergency Physicians National Conference; October 2019; Denver, Colorado.
Dr. Gabriel Wardi
- Shashikumar SP, Wardi G, Paul P, Carlile M, Brenner LN, Hibbert KA, North CM, Mukerji S, Robbins G, Shao YP, Westover B, Nemati S, Malhotra A. Development and prospective validation of a deep learning algorithm for predicting need for mechanical ventilation. Chest. 2020;S0012-3692(20)35454-4. doi:10.1016/j.chest.2020.12.009.
- Wardi G, Tainter CR, Ramnath VR, Brennan JJ, Tolia V, Castillo EM, Hsia RY, Malhotra A, Schmidt U, Meier A. Age-related incidence and outcomes of sepsis in California, 2008-2015. J Crit Care, 62: 212-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrc.2020.12.015.
- Nelson C, Ishimine P, Hayden SR, Correia M, Wardi G. Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) in an adolescent that developed coronary aneurysms: a case report and review of the literature. J Emerg Med. 2020;59(5):699-704. doi:10.1016/j.jemermed.2020.09.008.
- Wardi G, Carlile M, Holder A, Shashikumar S, Hayden SR, Nemati S. Predicting progression to septic shock in the emergency department using an externally generalizable machine-learning algorithm. Ann Emerg Med. 2021;77(4):395-406. doi:10.1016/j.annemergmed.2020.11.007.
- Roach C, Tainter CR, Sell RE, Wardi G. Resuscitating resuscitation: advanced therapies for resistant ventricular dysrhythmias. J Emerg Med. 2021;60(3):331-341. doi:10.1016/j.jemermed.2020.10.051.
- Nene RV, Amidon N, Tomaszewski CA, Wardi G, Lafree A. Outcomes for in-hospital cardiac arrest for COVID-19 patients at a rural hospital in Southern California, Am J Emerg Med. 2021;47:244-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajem.2021.04.070.
Dr. Korilyn Saucer Zachrison
- Zachrison KS, Boggs KM, Gao J, Camargo CA, Samuels-Kalow ME. Patient insurance status is associated with care received after transfer among pediatric patients in the emergency department. Published online Nov 20, 2020. Acad Pediatr. 2020;S1876-2859(20)30586-6. doi:10.1016/j.acap.2020.11.010.
- Zachrison KS, Boggs KM, Gao J, Camargo CA, Samuels-Kalow ME. Patient insurance status is associated with care received after transfer among pediatric patients in the emergency department. Oral presentation at: Society of Academic Emergency Medicine Annual Meeting; 2020; Virtual.
- Zachrison KS, Boggs KM, Cash RE et al. Are state telemedicine parity laws associated with greater use of telemedicine in the emergency department? JACEP Open. 2021;2(1), e212359. https://doi.org/10.1002/emp2.12359.
- Zachrison KS, Boggs KM, Cash RE et al. Are state telemedicine parity laws associated with greater use of telemedicine in the emergency department? Oral presentation at: American College of Emergency Physicians Scientific Assembly; 2019.